Anyone who considers protocol important has never dealt with a cat.
ROBERT A. HEINLEIN
SEPTEMBER : the time to teach and relearn drawing.
Get a sketchbook and begin again, EVERY DAY.
Since limitation usually fosters better creative results, here are a few of the rules of the road:
• Throw away the eraser
• Draw in 15 minute increments at least 5x a week
• Draw only from life
• 85% of the process relies on blind contour drawing tempered by carefully observed contour drawing
• Abandon expectation and embrace the process
• Realize that on a base level, the skill part of the equation is no different than carpentry: no practice = no progress
• Never draw elements out of spatial context, render complete environments: no floating objects or lone eyeballs.
• EMBRACE THE 3 NECESSITIES: proportion, gestural truth, and meaningful mark-making.
• Do it. Do not think about doing it.